Tuesday, April 01, 2008

BEES

I put most of garden in the ground yesterday. I used an aerator I rented from Home Depot. Cost about $50 for 24 hour rental. The rest of the plot and rows I prepared by hand. The onions and garlic I put in the ground about 10 days ago. Yesterday, I decided to gamble that we would not get another freeze here in the Hub, so in the ground went 3 varieties of peppers, 4 varieties of tomatoes, sweet corn, green and yellow squash, spinach, okra, cucumbers, and 2 varieties of beans.

I have herbs left to plant. Everything but the tomatoes and peppers I did from seed.

All I have left to do is flowers. I am going to plant a great deal of flowers that are organic....yes, organic. You see, I have been fascinated by the reports of the decline in honey bees. Fascinated and concerned. From what I have read, the bees do better with a variety of pollen producing flowers. There is also some concern that the genetically engineered plants aren't very healthy for bees. There is some concern that they aren't very healthy for people either.

Gasoline...higher food prices...bee decline...even higher food prices equals time to turn lemons into lemonade.

If you aren't aware, honey bees pollinate a great deal of the fruits and vegetables that we all eat.

Here is what I'm thinking. I am going to build a bee habitat.

“If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.”

-Albert Einstein

No comments: