Thursday, December 04, 2008

Mike is gonecakes.

Mike Leach isn't returning any calls from Tech. Several sources reported Wednesday afternoon he is going back to Seattle for a second interview with the University of Washington. We all know what that means. Well maybe, anyone that is familiar with Mike knows it is possible to need two interviews to understand the man.

This is the third off season that there have been rumors of Coach Leach shopping his services. This is the first time that a school appears interested. As it stands with incentives and bonuses, Mike will make 1.9 million for coaching the Red Raiders this season. Mike stands to receive a bonus of $800,000 should he be the Red Raiders coach on Dec 31, 2009, which would make his total package in 2009 worth 2.85 million if he wins at least 7 games. His contract supposedly includes a $500,000 buyout.

It has been vague and sketchy, but many believe that Tech was in the process of re-working his deal to be negotiated after the season. Of course, I do not know the exact details of the new contract or any offers from Washington. But if I were a betting man, and I am. I would guess that UW will have to offer Mike a total package in excess 3.2 million per year to get him. I do not think this is about getting the most out of Tech in the negotiation, but it could be.

If Texas Tech has to pay Mike Leach in excess of 3 million per year, then it is not worth it in my opinion. I like Mike and I love what he has done, but that is too much. Nothing against his accomplishments, and I do not want to suggest he hasn't earned his pay. I believe he deserves a raise with incentives for Conference Championships and BCS berths. I think he should make 2.75 million for 5 years with a $750,000 bonus for a Conference Championship. $500,000 for a BCS berth and 1 million for winning a MNC.

I will be shocked if Tech hasn't tried to make an offer to Mike. I would not be shocked if Mike wants to leave for greener pastures or a new start. If that's the case, then let's get Art in here.

What is pissing me off? This is recruiting season and our rivals are on the road getting the job done. For the third straight December our coach is screwing around, and I bet for a third straight January our football team is going to be behind and have to pull a massive comeback to win.

Things are not good in Raiderland. It's been a tough month.

No comments: