Monday, December 22, 2008

official holiday message/rant

I learned this year that no matter what, it is never too late. I also found out that despite the absence of alcohol and nicotine in my system, life is still hard. However, it is so much easier without it, especially the sleeping part. I have been sober 5 months yesterday, the awake part is pretty good too.

I feel lucky and grateful to be alive.

"So what do you want for Christmas?" my father asks me.

"I want for nothing." I say then I ask, "what do you want?"

"I want World peace, of course." We both laugh. I thought that was cool because he means it and also he knows its not possible at the same time. Still he says it. Consider the gift given.

This is really stupid to admit, but my emotional well being is subject to the outcomes of Texas Tech football games. I think my new addiction to break besides too much food and Jones Root Beer is emotional dependence on football. It can be done, but then what?

Then what? Really?

I am seriously considering three possible career moves. The first is, continue in the meat business. That seems underachieverish but the money is good.

The second is, become a Communications or History Professor. Become a doctor. Be poor. What a life that must be. I was told there would be no math on this exam.

The third is, work for the National Parks Service. Become Russ the Park Ranger.

It seems I am indeed destined to wear bad shades of green:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pack good meat.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear things are going well Russell. Hit me up sometime. I would love to catch up with you. My email is wtgates@gmail.com. Happy New Year

~Todd