Friday, August 11, 2006

Rule Britannia!



English football fans sure know how to belt it out.

Today is also the anniversary of the signing of the Atlantic charter, the thread that led utimately to NATO.

Yesterday the co-operation of the two countries once again bears fruit, so it seems. From the reports I have read and seen on television, some potential air terrorism was avoided. I cant help but feel some happiness. I dont know why because the source of joy is that these people were mostly Pakistani muslim British citizens. None of them were of Anglo decent so it seems. That is interesting.

Good job to those involved in snuffing this out, if these Muslims are indeed guilty of this conspiracy to commit this act of terrorism. Which brings me to my thought of the day.

I noticed when the English sing their national anthem, "God Save the Queen", most interject the phrase, 'never surrender' into the first stanza. I love that. I would like to think that comes from one of Winston Churchills' speeches during World War II. Maybe it does. Even though that anthem is foreign to Americans, it doesn't seem foreign to me.

When I hear them singing together, I think of how proud and fortunate I am to speak English, read English, and think English.

No comments: