Thursday, August 17, 2006

Volkswagen TDI




I bought this used car yesterday because I can no longer afford to pay the high cost of gasoline and maintenance on a 4 door 4 wheel drive American piece of plastic. It was a good twenty years of driving American trucks and SUV's, but I have to bow out. From now on its German made deisel or hybrid. Some of my friends, one in particular that makes bad personal decisions an artform, advised me that I would be sorry. Some of the dirt roads need extra ground clearance I was given as an example of why I would have regret. Well, let me just say that 45mpg on highway and 37mpg in city are reason enough. Besides, I regularly go "off road" and the dirt roads I pass are almost Roman in quality. I owned a 4 wheel drive for last 6 years and used it once. I filled up those vehicles numerous times, lately averaging about $400 a month in gasoline. That is too damn much.
I predict before Bush leaves office we will see $4.25 gasoline prices and wish $2.50 was back. I quit caring. For all I care they can make Georgia howl, I will still be able to get to work without busting the bank. I cant believe that people are buying Hummers and other guzzlers. The truth is most Americans are beyond broke. They are three months away from the streets. I am not stupid enought to blame this on a president or political party. Inately, the whole thing is a joke and we are all to blame in some way.
I dont want to get into the environmental argument, although a point can obviously be made. My point is, quality and superior engineering will eventually win out, despite the intrusion of government in the marketplace. You would think that US automakers would have learned this lesson in the 70's during the gas crunch. They have nothing that gets over 40mpg. I remember sitting in a hot car in August waiting for gas as a kid. Trust me, this is not something that we want to see happen in American cities. Talk about soccer mom fights. Even the Crips and Bloods will be scared.
I apologize the rant sucked today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you've been driving American for 20 years...I seem to recall a BMW in your past.

Kingfish said...

The BMW was a minor blip on the car radar.-thanks for the memories B

Paj,

That is exactly right. We have never been satisfied. The Stones wrote an excellent tune on this.

I like the fact that in a year, I can get a new 4 wheel drive fully loaded gas guzzler, and hurl insults at the tree huigging hippies. My point is I just want to be the one insulting and making fun of others. Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

The TDI's made by VW are great. The gasoline too. Good move man!

Anonymous said...

Gas prices aren't quite up to $4.25 yet.

Kingfish said...

Well, just wait until Iran mines the Straights of Hormuz