Friday, February 23, 2007

Iconoclasts

http://www.sundancechannel.com/feature/index.php?ixContent=8381

I am not a big fan of celebrity worship. I feel as though it dulls the mind and corrupts cultural development for one to sit for hours and bemuse the trifling stock of popular figures. It is hard to get away from, the endless hours of speculation on Anna Nicole and Britney. I try and watch current event channels but am always refused by the "top stories" or "breaking news." I think American television news is mocking its own viewers with the constant diet of rehab, DNA testing, and hyphenated name dating. The joke is on you if you pay attention, and sadly most of you do. All I am saying is think for a second and try something new.

It seems that good television is possible when centering around the private lives of celebrities. I was trying to watch some news to catch up on the world without having to surf the entire internet, a big time sports writer doesn't have the luxury of 6 hours to get unbiased print coverage via the gift from Al Gore. I got lucky remote surfing and stumbled across a show called Iconoclasts on Sundance Channel.

I knew the name Maya Angelou, and after watching Iconoclasts, I know I have missed out in not reading any of her work. The show is brilliant because it takes two popular figures from sports, entertainment, art, or literature and puts them together in one of their homes. What they talk about is so interesting that there is no need for 4 minute sound byte editing montages or trumped up situational settings. Most of the shows are two people talking about each other and themselves and what comes from that is....well, I can't really describe it. The only thing I can equate it to is having a conversation with a favorite long lost friend. Dave Chappelle came to visit Maya at her home in Winston Salem, N.C.

Some of the advice and thoughts that Maya gave to Dave throughout the conversation were powerful. An artist of the civil rights struggle and popular comedian...Now that I have started this, I can't finish. I apologize, but all I really wanted to do here was explain to you the internet that this is a great show and worthy of the DVR-Tivo season pass. I highly recommend watching the show with Maya Angelou. She had a bigger impact on me through that conversation with Dave than I can explain. It was that good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.hacer.org/current/US093.php

Anonymous said...

so true!
Last week, while the media focused on the circus hearings over Anna Nicole Smith's body -- Zubair Ahmed and Khaleel Ahmed, both in their 20s, both American citizens, were indicted by a Cleveland grand jury. The charge: conspiring to "kill or maim persons in locations outside of the United States... including US armed forces personnel serving in Iraq."

The two Ahmeds are accused of recruiting terrorists, finding training sites, raising money, and researching IEDs -- all to help other terrorists attack our troops in Iraq.
Yes, they were doing it inside the United States.

Meanwhile, Harry Reid and other Democrat leaders want to take back the authorization Congress gave President Bush to wage war on terrorists. Democrats say, now, that the authorization is "too broad" and it's "antiquated."

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi irate about Vice President Cheney's truthful observation that Democrats' anti-war stance is playing into the hands of Al-Qaeda. She fumed that Cheney attacked her patriotism. He said, "it's her judgment." So she was left only questioning her own patriotism.

Meanwhile, in Iraq, the terrorists are unleashing "dirty bombs," using chlorine and propane gas. You doubt they'd use them here, if they could? Or dirty nukes? If you do, follow your elected Democrat leaders, take ownership of defeat in Iraq along with them, put your head in the sand, and just wait: more dead American bodies here will eventually prove you wrong.

Anonymous said...

you're maturing gracefully. hope that doesn't bum you out.
(this is a compliment from someone who's been reading you for a while)

Kingfish said...

1:03

Interesting reading. I just want to clarify a few facts.

Do you understand the terms "forum" and "discussion thread"? It seems that you do not. The only terrorist act on this blog comes from you trying to hijack this discussion thread. Now say the thread was called "War in Iraq" or "Fascists gone wild", then your retort would be appropriate.

I am not a Democrat nor a Republican, but as an informed citizen I feel it is my obligation to remind you that the Constitution gives Congress the power to declare War. Has a War been declared?

One more thing, the GOP controlled the White House and both houses of Congress when the President ordered an invasion of Iraq. If you want to try a revise history to suggest that this is somehow the Democrats fault, then perhaps you need to get a job with the Gestapo, ahem, I mean Homeland Security.

I know what you are going to say. You will state that the terrorists will follow our troops home to the USA. They said the same thing about the Communists during Vietnam.

Anonymous said...

so by responding, i guess you made this a 'discussion'. as opposed to blocking comments... that would make you the one that inhibits discussion.
Now.... you are informed.

...although you still need many lessons. i'll send you your bill when you're up to 'satisfactory'.

Kingfish said...

Once again, you do not seem to understand the terms of discussion on this blog. If you are trying to inform me of something, I have an email. Please feel free to send a message there.

This particular thread is about a television show. If in some way you want to link that into a discussion about politics, then please logically link an argument or informative anecdote.

As to your displeasure at the comment moderation, all i can say is I'm sorry you feel slighted. I really do. But I have explained this several times. Keep the comments within the solar system of the topic at hand. If not, then your nonsense will be dealt with at my discretion. Most likely it will be deleted.

Got it?

I do not understand how a blog entry about Iconoclasts warrants a link to hacer.org. If you become a consultant, I wouldn't charge if I were you. I know kindergarteners that can copy and paste better than this.

TXsharon said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.