Thursday, February 15, 2007

Update on the health

It has been 70 days. 60 since I got off of my blood pressure medication.

I have lost over 35lbs. I am pretty sure I was over 315 in late November. I weighed right at 281lbs as of Monday. Believe me when I state, I look and feel 20 times better. I have so much further to go, but I have the right habits. I finally believe that I can do it. My goal is to be at 220 lbs by July 4th, 2007. I would like to get to 205 by the end of this year ultimately, but I do not know if that is possible with my body type. I am 6'4, by the way.


My blood pressure has stabilized at a much lower level than when I started. I still think it is high, but I estimate the lower I go on the scale, with the methods I am using, everything will work out right.

I have been developing a mean left hook and overhand right in my boxing class. But I can only go once a week. I'm up to 12 miles a week on the elliptical trainer. I break it up into five 40 minute session over 7 days. When I started I could only do 20 minutes at level 1, the lowest setting. Now I am on level 4 and I will be moving up to 5 on Saturday.

I lift weights 6 days a week and now I got two tickets to the gun show, iykwimaityd. As time has gone on, I have steadily increased my weight workouts as my strength and stamina have increased. Anyway, I will spare you all the details. It is working. Email me if you want me to share.

The biggest thing is nutrition. I posted my diet on here before, and with the exception of adding yogurt, I am on the same regimen. Oh, I have cut out the wine for the most part. I've been more social lately, and just have about 3 or 4 beers per outing, about 1 or 2 nights a week. Well, that is unless its bowling night. Got to get some moderation there, or stay away from Ron.

My problem is I do not feel like eating in the morning, so I have to make myself do it. That is still happening. I rarely get the late night cravings anymore, but when I do its because I skipped breakfast. Weird, but that is how it works for me.

The one thing that I can say is a pleasure every evening, is organic green tea. I love this stuff, and I am drinking it right now as I type. Overall, it costs more to buy better food, but you eat less of it because it has better nutrition and gives your body what it needs. Also, I do not have alot of food in my pantry or refrigerator. I go to the store more often; buy fresh and only get what I need. I also planted a few things so i can have some fresh things like basil, oregano, tomatoes, beans, etc. etc. It is an experiment and I will let you know how that works.

One little trick I learned over a 10 day period was not to eat my favorite, chips and salsa. I dropped 4 pounds and got off of a plateau.

In closing this update, I would just like to say this about myself. I have noticed the slimmer I get the better overall mood I have. I must have been an ass for the last 2 years, because I feel like I can throw a football over a mountain today.

4 comments:

Harry said...

yeah, I'd be Mary Frickin Poppins if I lost 35 pounds. Keep on keepin' on!

Gleemonex said...

Rock out with your bad self! Good news all around, Kingfish -- seems like the more you do on this plan, the more motivated you are to do more -- which is as it should be. May I share a tip for painless calorie-cutting? I buy 12-oz cans of Safeway generic club soda by the case, and always have a sixer in the fridge; I sometimes pour it over ice and squeeze lime in there, but more often, I just drink it right out of the can -- unbelievably refreshing, cheap, zero calories, carbonated so you can sorta fool yourself that it's like light beer, and a great bev to just have at hand if you are like me, and crack open a cold one whenever you don't really have anything else to do. Seltzer will work if you don't want the sodium, but club soda is more satisfying, IMO.

mzchief said...

Congrats!
I am NOT a member of the "coffee generation" however I do LOVE organic green tea and have ever since I was a child and lived in Seoul, South Korea, and Okinawa, Japan. You might enjoy white tea just as much as green. One of my FAVOURITE garnishes for green tea is to take a veggie peeler and strip off a sliver of orange peel zest into my cup/pot AFTER my tea has steeped. I make a point to eat an orange every 3 days so as NOT to end up with a bunch of bald oranges in the crisper.

Orange slices with grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast on a bed of salad greens and chopped scallions garnished with LOTS of fresh cracked pepper makes for an AWESOME lunch/supper.

I always grow dill in my herb garden. Chopped FRESH dill makes just about EVERYTHING taste better.

gleemonex is spot on about the club soda being yummylicious especially when you add a few drops of natural fruit juice to the glass. Just make certain to drink the LOW sodium type of club soda if you still have BP issues.

Keep up the GREAT work.

CHEERS!

Kingfish said...

Never considered white Tea, because I have always been sold on the health benefits of green tea.

I drink an organic brand of Orange juice, it is called 'Simply Orange.' I do not drink alot of it, but just enough to get some vitamin C.

Anyway, I am down to a flush 280 as of yesterday. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I appreciate it.

After I am done I am considering a career as a Chippendale Dancer. It's quite lucrative here in the Hubaplex.