Wednesday, February 07, 2007

You stay flat Lubbock!


Is it safe to come out? Like Charlie Brown walking around with a cloud constantly pouring, our beloved Red Raiders can't catch a break. That seems to apply to all of our Sports teams in action this semester. The lone exception being the Tech Hockey team that finished up a successful campaign finishing 11th in some obscure poll. If the umbrella works, which seems seldom, we end up in the mud puddle anyway. "Bad luck is better than no luck at all", is a quotation I like because I can then make a HEE HAW reference. Yeah me! I still can't wait for March, but for vastly different reasons than a month ago. Gloom, despair, agony on me.

One bit of odd news, I got a low paying job as the beat writer for Texas Tech baseball on Raiderpower.com.

Maybe this should be posted on Lifestyles? It seems like self loathing, because it is self loathing.

The good news is, the weather is great in the Hubaplex. I planted some vegetables and herbs (legal) this weekend and I am looking forward to the harsh lessons of indoor contact gardening. Maggie has mastered the art of fly chasing, because I have all the "puertas" open. "Puerta" is a fancy Spanish word that requires a google search or $10,000 in tuition fees to understand. Comprende? Some farmers have scarecrows and pesticides, I have an attack collie mix. We work within the budget around here.

AQUI? I like annoying the spell checker on this software. It no likey the Espanol. One sentence, two red marks. I win! Yeah me again!

Hola, me llamo es El Rey de pescado. Y tu? That is really all I remember. Translated it says, "Hello, my name is the king of cooked fish. What is yours?" OK, that was fun. What do you want to do now boys and girls?

I watched Wargames the other day on my antique non-HDTV surround sound television in color. Here are a list of my favorite lines.

"Let's play Global Thermo Nuclear War."
"I would piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good."

I also lost another pound of body last week. If I don't lose weight by exercise, I have the local butcher lop off a finger. That is more motivation than Jerrod, Jerad, J-rod?? can muster.

Another odd bit of personal peace, I am going to be on television at KLBK Sunday Sports with Rob Brennan. Rob is good people, despite his Philadelphia foreigner status. You may recall my first "15 minutes of fame", for those of you don't have the Plainview public access channel, I was on the Mayor's Show in 2002. I was a big hit and for all I know it may still be on in syndication. Oh, the life I have led. Probably not worth much examining at this point. What I will be exploring with Rob will probably revolutionize sports broadcasting, and land me in the pantheon of journalism transcendence. That trip will include stops on Texas Tech football recruiting, Men's and Women's basketball analysis, and tips on buying bowling balls. Oh and my two day expertise on all that is the Texas Tech baseball program.

I am going to sign off with a Ron Burgundyesque voice saying, "I'm Russell Smith, you stay flat Lubbock!" Do you think they will let me wear my red plaid coaching pants on air?"

3 comments:

Gleemonex said...

"A strange game, professor. The only winning move is ... not to play."

Any chance we'll get to see yer sports broadcast in Galivornia? And hey, what size rock you throwin these days? I tried a few different weights and settled on a beautiful blue-and-gold 11-pound stone, myself, and it is sweeet.

Kingfish said...

I will try and get the sportscast on the "interweb" for viewing pleasure.

I have a blue dot 14 pounder built right here in Tejas. Columbia in San Antonio to be exact. The color is referred to as a black berry. You may know I call it a, "red and black sparkle rock". Got a deal for shoes, rock, and bag at the local Brunswick pro shop. Set me back one fitty.

Abide Glee!

Kingfish said...

Atticus, you inspire me.

My new goal in life is to be the first Lubbock bowling league President with a library.