Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Bobby Knight hit Michael Prince

I never saw it coming. Perhaps sophomore gaurd Michael Prince feels the same this morning. From my vantage point on the midcourt second row behind the television team of ESPNU, I didn't see it. However, the Indiana alumn that flew in from Chicago saw it, then said 'I think Bobby just hit Prince.' Then I immediately looked up and saw Head Coach designate Pat Knights reaction. I knew it, and now the whole sports world can see the lapse of judgement.
The IU orphan (thats what we call them in Lubbock) then said, 'I hope the TV didn't see it.' From where I was, I could see the visual feed and it appeared they missed it. The paltry crowd seemed to miss it as well. It certainly wasn't replayed.
What was replayed for me is the look of embarrassment on Prince's face. He looked stunned. I felt bad for him. But I also held out hope that the slap was a tap, or the punch was a...well I guess I was hoping it would go away. I still do. I didn't have to see it now. I knew he indeed did it again.
But then again, Bobby has done so well at handling this program. He deserves to hold that standard that he instills in his student athletes. I am upset for Coach Knight and at Coach Knight all at the same time.
Nobody is perfect, and there is hopefully no but needed here. It is my hope that Coach Knight survives this latest assualt to do what he loves and does best, build young men into leaders. But I think that maybe the time for Bobby Knight to humble himself might be past. Again I hope he can find it in himself to overcome this and decide that that behavior isn't becoming of his legacy. It damn sure isn't the image I want identifying Texas Tech University.
Without a whisper doubt in my head, I don't think what he did deserves his vacating the Head Coaching job. But I will say this. I think he hurt himself more than he hurt Prince. Let's hope this doesn't blow up. Something everyone says after the fuse is lit and you can't get away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atticus--

How many young people have you ever coached and/or taught??
Get real!!!!!!

The research says the student has to be "listening"---

Helmut said...

Do I think Knight was within the realm of reason with his actions...maybe so. The players and the parents know what they are getting when they come to Tech and are coached by Knight.

Would I send my son to play for him....
probably.

Anonymous said...

Coaches are paid a salary to "teach"....

Nuff said.
No foul.

Anonymous said...

looks like it ended in a whimper.