Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Is it better to burn out?




This morning I was sore from working out. I got out of bed and the first thing I thought of was this line from a Neil Young song, "it's better to burn out, than to fade away." Right now, I look like Patrick Swayze circa 1988, except I still have a little bit of a gut and I do not have a mullet. If I do not get a certain job, I am going to stage a mullet strike. I am going to grow a mullet AND perm it in protest. I wonder if Gandhi ever thought of that one? Doubt it, and because of this I feel superior to him. Eat it Mahatma, pun intended.

Just to update, I am down to 261 but not on a hunger strike. Anyway, I didn't feel so hot this morning but I still feel 20 times better than I did in 2004, 2005, and 2006.

Not Fade Away

I have two grandparents in the nursing home. I am glad in a way that they are still alive, but honestly I would not want to exist that way myself. On second thought, it depends. It depends on how many things I can still do. The thing that would bother me the most would be lack of control over my body, time, and circumstance. For some reason I am thinking about them today and can only wish that they are comfortable. I wanted to insert the "depends" joke somewhere in there, but it is unfortunately not a joke.

Crass as always

When I was child, that was until about 6 months ago if your playing at home on the home game. I will be here 'alls' the week. Welcome to ADHD, an interactive whatever. Anyway, I use to ask my parents if old people lived in storage buildings. My mother still teases me about it, but deep down she knows if she crosses me once more, it's off to the KOA Mini Storage off of Clovis Highway.

Adulthood misconceptions

Maggie tries to kill flies by chasing them around the room and snapping at them. Every once in a while she snags one. It's better entertainment than What's Happening Now, but as talented as my puppy is she cannot stop the avenger called time. She just can't get the wheels around like she use to. I mention the 70's sitcom for a reason. My dog reminds me of the talent of Fred Berry dancing. For those of you that do not know, he was better known as "Rerun", his character on that show. Fred's dead. What I remember about him most is years after the show was canceled, Fred was still dressing up and doing his thing. He wasn't as cool, but he could still do it. That is all that matters.

My point is, we do what we do and more often than not we think we will constantly improve and get better. The truth is one day we will not and the paramount soreness is that one day we may wake up and not be in control. The misconception is that perhaps we do not appreciate our health and present set of circumstances in the now, but something tells me we will wish we appreciated more later.


One More thing

I cannot decide if Neil was correct. Not in the rock n roll lyrical sense only, but in general. Maybe that isn't the purpose at all. Maybe I should stop thinking about song lyrics and what they mean. Never, I will enjoy thinking while I still can. Hey Hey my my.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The King is gone but he's not forgotten!
Thankyouvery much!

Helmut said...

Rust never sleeps