Friday, March 02, 2007

What's cookin?


I screwed up this dish when my mother visited a few weeks ago, so I had a "redo" last night. It's called Texaner Chicken Baked Potato soup.

3 white potatoes
3 chicken breasts
lemon
1/2 white onion
Fresh Garlic
Cilantro
Poblano pepper
1 can of Tascosa Salsa
Organic Chicken Broth
Salt
Pepper
Oregano

Garnish
Bacon-cooked to crisp and crumbled
Cheddar Jack cheese
Chives

The idea originally was born of my love for German potato leek soup and broadened into more from there. I dice the potatoes first and place them in the crock pot. Next, I add a seedless peeled lemon, cilantro, onion, garlic, Poblano pepper and blend them all together with a blender. I then spoon that out into the pot. Finally, I add 3/4 of a jar of Tascosa salsa, diced chicken breast, and Chicken broth until ingredients are covered by a 1/8 of an inch. Cover and cook for 8 hours at the lowest setting.

Upon serving, I add cheese, bacon, and chives to garnish. If done perfectly, one will first taste the sensation of baked potato and then move into a Southwestern spicy version of chicken potato leek soup.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

I prefer Herdez salsa, but that sounds like a great recipe!

Helmut said...

Herdez only makes a good salsa verde. I prefer Tascosa