Sunday, March 04, 2007

Bitten nails and broken hearts



That should be enough, but just to make sure I think Tech needs to win a game in the Big 12 Tournament. Anything after that is gravy going into the NCAA Tournament.

What a season. Every win seemed slim and the losses were frustrating. Since Coach Bob Knight came to Lubbock, I thought his best coaching job was getting Tech into the tournament in his first season. Now I believe that this has been his best work. This team lacked the talent to rebound consistently and forced Tech to maximize its opportunities. This team lost 5 games in a row during Conference play, then went to College Station and turned its season completely around.

The record, the eye socket multiple fracture, the big wins at home, Prince-gate, NEBRASKA meltdown, double OT loss to OSU, and owning the poor Aggies. Now I know why people get off a roller coaster, throw up, and then claim that it was great and want to do it again.

I hate the old saying about owning pets, that its just heartbreak waiting to happen. Barring some divine intervention, this season will end with a loss. We all know that, right? Experience as a seasoned Tech fan tells me that it will be a heart breaker. I know it will be some double clutch off the backboard miracle shot, but until that happens I will continue to hope.

I have said this many times, we are the Red Sox of the Big 12. We're lovable and on any given night we can beat anyone, but I am waiting for our one shining moment. We have our Buckners and Yastrzemskis in many a sport around here. We don't exactly have a Curse to exorcise, but it would be nice to win an outright Championship in either Football or Men's Basketball. No offense to the ladies is intended, but its high time for some Men's sport hardware. Hell, even the Sox won. Next will be the Rangers and then what? Baylor!

That would be just great. Baylor wins a Football or Basketball Championship before Tech. What am I saying? If were the Sox, then they are the Cubs. Somehow that makes me feel better, and now I can focus on my bracketology domination.

No comments: