Monday, November 28, 2005

Freakonomics..finally all that cifferin comes in handy!


I finally picked this book up today at the bookstore. I was feeling a bit snooty and thought this might make me more hip if I new all the lingo and shizzle inside. Of course, I wuz right again. I know that this has been written about already, but i just dont think these dudes have gone as far as they can. I think if they told the complete and total truths of their studies, this book doesn't get published.

I haven't yet finished the whole thing so I will refrain from further comentary. I may not finish it, thats just the way I roll sometimes.

Here is a list of other books I have read, currently reading, but not completely finished: 'The Bible' as inspired by God, and 'Being and Time' by Stephen Hawking. Oh yeah MOM, there is no way I'm going to read a book entitled, "Beer can chicken." I might re-gift it. Look out Harry or Ron.

I would like to finish with a rant about the lexicon. Lexicon is defined as, "a word book describing language with definitions;dictionary." When I was 18 years old I heard about this thing called PC or Political Correctness. As I learned about it, I thought and felt deep in my soul that this was a movement corrupt with contradiction. This movement was supposed to revolutionize the relationships between all people. They were right about that! The current divisiveness that permeates throughout the land has its seed in the PC movement. This division has us all tormented with D or R or Red state/blue state. People aren't thinking, "whats good for my community?" Instead they really want to figure out how to screw the opposition out of power. Well Damn it to hell! This republic is supposed to be above this.

Think about it this way, the current PC movement doesn't allow us to say someone is a whore. Instead we must say he or she(of course in 1990 we would assume a female) is sexually promiscuous. I hate to steal George Carlins thunder, but damn that boy is right. We could go on and on citing the examples...but thats just going to piss me off. Dont teach the children to think for themselves, instead teach them to pass a standardized test. I think that is a line from a Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young song...or maybe not. WELL THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THAT IS THE WORLD ISN'T STANDARDIZED!

Most teachers today have never heard of the Dartmouth method or Linux. Two things from different eras that exemplify the same thing. THINK and DO for yourself on your own merits. The teachers that do know about it will get fired if they dont follow the curiculum. These kids are just numbers, which is the point I'm getting from this book.



www.freakonomics.com

4 comments:

Helmut said...

It's a good book bro. I'm reading The World Is Flat right now. Will post when I get deeper.

Anonymous said...

Don't give up on this book it is awesome (even where it is wrong). I'm forcing 65 people to read it right now.

Kingfish said...

tm,

I'll read the book, but did you read the blog?

Anonymous said...

nice site, russ!

i like the anonymous capability. it leaves open the concept of free speech.

-patrick