Monday, January 08, 2007

Diets don't work for me.

I have been on my new plan or lifestyle change for the better part of 30 days now. I am feeling better.

I hate the word diet for alot of reasons. If you have ever been on a diet, then chances are you have probably failed at it, as I have so many times. You might hate the word too.

I already know what you want to know. You want to know what it is, how to do it, and will it work. That is the easiest part. The difficult question to answer and discover is, will you keep it off?

Most people avoid things they dont like about themselves and instead focus on what makes them forget and/or content. At least that is my take. We have all heard the phrase, "diets don't work." For the most part they do not and that statement is painfully true to the masses of people.

Some people have to get, or feel like they need staples in their stomach. Others get plastic surgery. Some people take prescription medication (as I have recently). Others do South Beach, Atkins, Dexetrim, Slim Fast, Nutrisystem, LA Weight Loss, Weight Watchers, Deal A Meal, the Zone, and many others.
My personal favorite to pick on is the Subway Diet. But a hasten to throw stones when it that and many others have worked for so many.

BUT what does work really mean?

Simply losing weight and gaining it all back couldn't be a favorable outcome. I have read that many doctors and experts know that most people gain it all back plus some. If you have an eating disorder, it is almost a certainty it will happen. They find themselves with poorer health and presumably a worse mental condition than before they started. A real tragedy.

In my case, I gained alot of weight in college 18 years ago. Since then I have gone on several diets and exercise regimens. I have lost weight. I have eaten carbs and no carbs, I have run 10k races, swam thousands of laps in a pool and spent many hours in a weight room. I have been in many aerobics classes. Logged many a mile on the various cardio machines. I have eaten nothing but vegetables and fruit. I have tried alot of fad diets. I still have the weight, and also alot of different sizes of clothing. The only consistent thing I got was bigger.

My weight has steadily climbed from 195lbs in 1989 to a peak at 315lbs last year. There are many reasons why I am at what I am at. I didn't consistently exercise. I drank too much alcohol. Worked too much. I ate fast food, Chinese buffets, grande Mexican platters, and ate everything I cooked in the house. Depression. Did I mention I drank alot? I also smoke. It is a sorry way to live and I will be lucky to make it to 50 years old. People that are over 300lbs that drink, smoke, eat, and have high blood pressure don't make it very long. But please, don't leave any comments about how I can change, or this or that will work. I have been there and done that.

Let me explain to you what I think will work.

First and foremost, the only thing that matters is sacrifice, moderation, and consistency. Second, quit eating and drinking poison. Third, do not go on a diet. Finally, get a lifestyle.

Sacrifice means that I am willing to be poor, by my standards, the rest of my life if that means I can be healthy again. I am not going to slave away at some job for 60 hours a week anymore. I am not going to get stressed out because some walking idiot needs to climb on my back to get to the top. Stressing me out and gaining me nothing but what I mentioned above. Being too tired and stressed at the beginning and end of long days isn't worth it. Besides, nobody ever says, "I should have worked more" on their deathbed. I wonder how many wished they would have lived healthier?

I am also going to sacrifice fast food, sodas, and multiple trips to the buffet. I know that sounds like a diet, but to me it isn't. A diet implies you give up something for a limited time to achieve a goal. A lifestyle change is presumably for life. I hope you can see the difference, and also hope I have the strength to see it through. I have been exploring the realm of eating organic foods. I am still learning but so far my practice has led me to feel better. The 'treehuggers' might be right again.

Moderation. I first heard and learned that word from my father. He is an extremely healthy man and I have never known him to not be. He works hard, he plays hard, and he ALWAYS never fails to take care of himself. My step-father is the same way as well. Both of them probably marvel at my choices and my size. It goes both ways. What moderation truly is comes hand in hand with consistency. Did you notice I said 'never fails' earlier? That doesn't mean adopting a dogma of this and not that, although that probably happens. What it truly means is that they have mastered their bodies. They never go overboard and never let the emotions or cravings of a moment turn into a routine. They get back on track. They live it. It is okay for them to have a fattening meal that tastes good. They probably don't even think about it like that. They have a...

HEALTHY LIFESTYLE

In my humble opinion, there are no quick fixes or magic pills people. Research continues in genetics, surgeries, metabolism and if your not careful, you could be caught in that trap. The pharmaceutical companies can surely sell you something. Ever heard or read the side-effects on a drug advertisement. No thank you. I will keep my money and take my chances on my own volition. I'm not going to cheat myself from this life experience even if you can safely 'fix' me. I want to gain moderation, sacrifice, consistency, and a healthy lifestyle. I doubt they make a pill to gain that anyway.

Losing weight is a trade off. What you gain is an achievement. If you do it right, the real success lies in the gift you can give yourself everyday.

My favorite line from any movie is in the Shawshank Redemption by the character Andy Dufresne

Get busy living, or get busy dying.


I weigh 298lbs today and I got alot more living to do.




















2 comments:

TXsharon said...

I think you are on to something here. When I was in my 20s I figured this out and changed my lifestyle. For the most part, I have stuck with it and, as a result, I have never been much overweight and I'm exceedingly healthy.

My son gained a lot of weight in college then even more with depression but he has changed his lifestyle and is doing well now.

A very important part of what you wrote is that when you get off or sidetracked it's okay as long as you get back on track.

Inspiring!

Harry said...

Thanks, Kingfish. I think many need to hear that! Best of luck.