Monday, January 29, 2007

Living with Ed


Living with Ed is on HGTV on Sundays at 10pm. I caught my first episode last night. It is a real-life documentary show about actor Ed Begley Jr., his family life in California, and green lifestyle. I rarely stop to see what is on HGTV, but I noticed that Ed was on and knowing him to be a green activist that walks the talk, I decided to check it out.

It was good stuff. This episode happened to be about Ed's birthday. The most important thing that he said during the show was his choices of daily transportation. He has four in order of importance. He either walks, rides his bicycle, drives his electric car, or finally drives his hybrid. To quote him from his website, "Picking up a few small items is not the sort of chore you need a 2,500 pound machine for." Truly a master of the obvious. He walked to the market with a backpack to get some fresh vegetables for his soup. After the meal, his wife Rachelle Carson, presented him with a new electric bicycle. It was a nice gift and he seemed to be pleased. The show is oddly humorous and also entertaining, and while seemingly geared to the Boomer generation, it really has something for everyone.

Interesting is Ed's home. In this episode it showed, without much explanation, a great deal of features. Pictures of solar panels, a solar oven (which Ed used to make a soup for his family), herbal garden, and Ed creating electricity by riding his bike on the porch were curious. Hopefully the show will go into greater detail about all of Ed's "green" friendly stuff.

So far the best details can be found on Ed Begley Jr's website. I have been linking, browsing, and reading up on this stuff for hours. If you are truly ready to get "green", I suggest you take a look. The best links are the FAQ's and Speech at UCLA. If you at least want to save some money at the grocery store, on electricity bills, or live healthier, it is worth the time spent.

For you prideful Texans out there, do not dismiss this as "California hippie celebrity tree-hugging nonsense." I think Ed is on to something. He isn't just providing lip service as many in Hollywood do, this man is trying to lead by example. Something I admire very much. While everyone is sitting around and debating the aspects of energy, hybrid cars, and potential crisis; Ed Begley Jr. is out there solving the problems for his own family. Something the whole could learn from.

SIDE NOTES AND A.D.D. THOUGHTS:

Makes me want a wind and solar farm right near Texas Tech, then all would be good in my world. For the life of me, I cannot understand why West Texas doesn't power the rest of the state with wind, something we seem to have in never ending abundance. Did I mention we get on average over 300 days of sun per year in West Texas? I just did.

This week the State of Texas legislature is deciding the fate of 11 COAL plants for TXU. I bet you it passes. I wonder if their is any money changing hands under the table?

EDIT: I just received an email from the producers of Living with Ed and wanted to pass along the shows official website. It is www.livingwithed.net

1 comment:

Kingfish said...

You could be the 'Ed' very easily.