Sunday, July 30, 2006

What makes you so f'n smart?

Some idiot on a message board decided to challenge me in a philosophical discussion. For the record, I was not being a troll. Well maybe a little bit, but you know thats how I roll. In any case, his criticisms led me to put together a list of books I am currently reading, or have recently read. That way if he or his ilk ever ask me, 'what makes you so f'n smart?" I can link them up here. I'm such a dork for typing that last sentence. Excuse me, I need to go pick up my Klingon uniform from the drycleaners.

Being and Time by Martin Heidegger is rough stuff. First, it was originally written in German. The English translation of the edition below is a hard but illuminating read. First published in 1926, its modern strength is it bridges understanding in less than modern thought. It's tough but worth the time.



A book I just finished is The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. The book is not near as good as the movie. I rarely state that, in fact it is always the other way around. The book is still better than 90% of the drivel being published in fiction currently. For the record, I am heterosexual.



An absolute great book is My Story by Bobby Knight. I know I am a bit biased because he coaches at Texas Tech, but this is an inspiring book. The thing I admire most about Coach Knight is his commitment to the University Library. He doesn't just demand his athletes earn degrees, he writes checks to improve the University. One of my all time favorite autobiographies.



I am also revisting a book I crammed in college. It is called The Life and Writings of Thomas Jefferson.



I think it good to read a variety. I tend to stay away from the Oprah book club or New York Times best seller list. I have the theory that if everyone is doing it, it must be crap. Besides, Oprah is really a Romulan princess bent on conquering the world for the Praetor.

1 comment:

mzchief said...

You might enjoy giving Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond a read.