Saturday, October 14, 2006

Suicide watch at the Techsan house.


After the game, I decided to call my dad to get his take on the outcome of the game. He was doing domestic duties and the like. He expressed some disappointment but then he said, "there are alot of things to do on Saturdays."

LIKE WHAT? You mean there are more fruitful things to do besides get stressed out about the outcome of a football game we wont remember in two years? That makes way too much sense. I cant buy that. What if we win out and get some dumb luck and back into the Championship game. Hey, it can happen. Straight jackets are not required in Kansas City are they?

How long? Not how long til basketball season, but how long until we WIN?

The Red Sox waited 86 years between championships. Sawx fans before 2004 reminds me alot of ourselves. There is no between for us. The lot of us that are lifelong Tech fans from Tech families are stricken with the same affliction. Its called masochism and it is defined as,
The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself.
The others that weren't raised Techsan are the real victims. They haven't had the years of Buddhist like meditation to the encantations of Spike, or the endless clicks of yet another third down. They suffer the harsh rebukes of the hapless Buffaloes and Okie lites far worse. They haven't been there for the North Texas State Teachers College beat downs. We have been there, done that, and had 3 beers before there are 5 minutes gone in the 1995 Cotton Bowl.

I take it because I'm not pink, I'm a Red Raider. More on that after the diagnosis.

I think we like it. I really do. If you dont believe me feel free to peruse the Raider Power football forum.
Pure masochism, but that is the "pleasure" of being more than a graduate or casual fan. We aren't Pink! We are internet Tech fans. We rule the internet for sure. Some dont post and dont need to, its all there and besides they are far more dangerous than the actual posters. The pent up lurkers are ripe for a killing spree. What about the students? Our current students could clean out Tehran, Fallujah, and Baghdad the week after we LOSE to Baylor.

Maybe we need to get a life. Maybe we need to go camping or check out the sale at Bird Bath and Beyond. Just something. Anyway I was saying that I am a Red Raider. You bet your ass I dont need a life.

I was there when we beat Cal in the Holiday Bowl.

I was there when Travis Price caught the bomb, when Billy Joe made it rain in Fort Worth, and when Zach triumphed. I was there when Taurean scored, when Bam punished Texas for being born, and when the crowd cheered KEEP R.C.

I was there when only 400 fans and the best damn band in college football played until the lights went out in Orlando. We drove because WES WELKER CANNOT BE STOPPED.

By the way DAD, you cant fool me, I know you listened to every play!

Masochism be damned, its fun to be a Techsan. Expectations are higher and criticisms are abound right now, but I know our players are really hurting from the losses more than we are. They are young men and they can bounce back. Win or Lose, Strive for Honor and let em know they are playing Texas Tech. I always will.



Guns Up a little higher!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BTW--I AM using my tickets to the OU game! I even wore red all weekend to prove I'm not pink...

We will see a better day-

Anonymous said...

Actually I did not listen to every play. I was putting down some new floor in the house and I thought the game stunk in the second half. I decided long ago that I would not let the Red Raiders, Dallas Cowboys or other team sports decide whether I am happy or sad.
I love the Raiders and I love to watch and listen to their games. I think young Mr. Harrell will probably turn out to be a winner, but I also have other things that interest me in life on a Saturday afternoon.
Pax!
Dad!