Monday, October 30, 2006

.what sport teaches

In a recent interview on Larry King Live, Donald Trump was asked 'What is the key to success?' Donald Trumps eyes lit up and replied, 'you can never give up nomatter what.' That isn't the first time we have heard that sage advice. Mr. Trump really meant it, and if you were watching it, you knew it wasn't just something the man said. He lives it, and he lived it.
I often wonder if Trump would have made a great basketball coach. You see, I feel fortunate in my life to have tried, failed, tried again, and found success. All before I reached the age of 18.

I have a coach to thank. His name is Wayne Thompson. He has never won a state championship, although few can match his winning over a career. Coach Thompson taught me many valuable lessons, one of which I finally understand this very morning, 17 years after leaving his program. You are either getting better or worse every day. You never stay the same. He liked saying that while looking at me. I was the slowest on the team in more ways than one.
I finally get it coach.

Great things aren't achieved without sacrifice. Winning isn't only about a score, and the way you win says everything about your character. Always improve and never fail to prepare. Not bad advice for a jump shot and press defense either.

Thank you for the education Coach. It wasn't what you said, but the conviction that I remember. It helps me more today than ever. There is no doubt that you could have been just like the Trump, but then again I think the world is better off with more true educators like you.
Teaching boys and girls to become responsible men and women. So few are the Coach Thompsons' of this world. But fortunately the ones that excel aren't merely winning championships or being lauded by administrtors for achievement on a standardized test. The great ones triumph over modern definition of greatness and instill that will to do the right thing throughout a childs life. The need not be there in the physical any longer, for they live in the present at times in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and I LOVED watching him work those quadratic equations at the blackboard. yum. sorry, was that gross?