Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Rusty Thrower captures History




I want to introduce you to one of my most interesting friends, Rusty Thrower. We were fraternity brothers at Texas Tech. Of all the people I met in those days, 'Thrower' was by far the most magnetic and fun person. Even though Rusty was a year younger than me, I looked up to him. Rusty could hold court anywhere and always had a throng of friends and ladies around having fun. When i was 20, i thought that was great. Now that I'm 35, I realize i want to be 20 and hanging out with 'Thrower' over at Conference Cafe again.

We had some good times, but Rusty's old soul grew frustrated with school and transfered to North Texas to follow his passion in life. It crushed the lot of us that Rusty was gone. I couldn't make sense of it then, but when I see what he does now, I realize Rusty Thrower is an artist. In fact, I think he was born to late for his time. You will see.

"Through my sculpture, I try to create a work that is pleasurable to look at, while attempting to give the viewer an insight to another time and place."
In another time and place, after not seeing Rusty, I ran into him in Denton, TX. It was quite a reunion. My friends were convinced Rusty was the coolest within 20 minutes. It was no shock. Later, he invited me and my friends over to his house to hang out. When we walked in, there it was. He called it Necessary Skill.

It's remarkable how a kid from the suburbs gets it.

The picture doesn't do it justice. I must have stared at that unfinished piece of recaptured history for an hour. He told me that he was finishing his Art degree at North Texas. I said, "you should have been teaching the courses." I am no art critic, but to me Rusty's work seems great at any angle. If I have ever met a genius in life, it's Rusty. I remember viewing the sculpture of Frederic Remington and thought that genre had gone with him to the grave. The world is so lucky to have 'Thrower' around.

Rusty now lives and works in the DFW Metroplex, but his mind is probably somewhere in the early 19th century on the plains with the Comanche, or on the range moving a herd.

Rusty completed his degree and has an online studio where you can view his work. Please take the time and check it out, it is worth it.

Rustythrower.com

No comments: