Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Who is John Galt? Herb Kelleher.





If you ask me Herb is John Galt. Who is John Galt? That is the question proposed to us in philosophical literature not so long ago. I spent almost a year trying to find out that mystery and I wont give that up so easily. Anything else sure, but not that. However, I am convinced that Herb is the personification of Mr. Galt in almost every way.

I have admired Herb Kelleher, the leader of Southwest, for many years. I have flown on Southwest Airlines numerous times, and I have always got from point A to point B, without a hassle. Now I want you to notice that I didn't call it 'his' airline. Its not his. Southwest belongs to him and his employees. Herb gets IT! Herb made it that way, and more importantly, never betrayed that trust with Southwest employees. I have never worked any airline, but I have worked for some big organizations. The Southwest employees actually care. Its not a gimmick or advertisement, thats why they are winning. Believe me that feeling is rare.

The only airline to turn a profit since 9/11 is...Southwest. Why do they make a profit and win? Before we explore that let's remember; I can think of no other legal enterprise, outside of the tobacco companies, that have succeeded in the face of so much adversity. The Wright Amendment is a travesty to free enterprise, everybody with a brain can figure that one out! Unfortunately, its not a question of economic free enterprise. It is merely an act of selfish greed. This single piece of legislation was designed to crush Love Field; and force Southwest to fly from DFW instead of its base near downtown Dallas. It seems this was a political power play executed from the offices of rivals bent on crushing Herb and Southwest. But wait, that was more than 20 years ago when the evil liberals that hated puppies, money, and Neiman Marcus were in charge.

Thank the red state Jesus that the Republicans can reverse this travesty of legislation perpetrated by the evil liberal; former Speaker Jim Wright. Well? Come on Republicans? What more could Texans want? Let's get out that platform and cross this one off as a tribute to Herb and free enterprise. In the words of Judge Smells on the 18th green at the climactic ending of Caddyshack, "well...WERE WAITING!"

Unfortunately, Kay Bailey Huchinson is no Danny Noonan. Neither is Kay Granger, R-Ft. Worth; nor Joe Barton, R-Arlington.

But Southwest is going to win. Despite the limitations of this airline, by law, to not fly non-stop past a 5 state area; they turned their limitations into a niche market. That is history. Today December 13, 2005; Southwest was freed by the law to fly to stops in Missouri...the proverbial throwing of the bone. Just this evening on the local news, Southwest competitors are cutting fares and rolling back schedules. Southwest just keeps adding on.

History is a big indicator of future results. If that is true, I'll take Herb and Southwest. Its not that I wish ill will on its competitors. I just know that he will win because he has the luxury of complete faith of his employees. Think about that, Southwest employees aren't the ones in constant strike, they 'luv' their jobs. WHY? Its because they know that if they work hard today and beat you today, they will be secure today and tomorrow. That is called esprit de corps!

I just changed my mind, John Galt is John Galt and Herb Kelleher is a real leader that never gives up on his dream. I wish you luck Herb. I hope that Missouri is today, and the world awaits tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Southwest Rocks!

and Wright is wrong.


-Patrick